Gamecocks score most points ever under Dawn Staley in win over USC Upstate

The Gamecock women‘s basketball team scored the most points ever in a single game under coach Dawn Staley, downing USC Upstate 112-32 and improving to 5-0 on the season.

Before the game could even begin, USC Upstate was given a technical foul for a uniform violation. The Gamecocks were able to take advantage of the technical, though, starting the game off with two points before the tip-off after senior Tyasha Harris made the two shots accompanying technical.

Freshman Aliyah Boston won the tip, and the Gamecock front court of Boston, senior Mikiah Herbert Harrigan and freshman Brea Beal started the game crashing the boards quick, totaling four blocks between the three of them in the first half alone. 

The start of the second quarter saw continued dominance by South Carolina on the defensive side of the ball. Sophomore Destanni Henderson grabbed a couple steals and ended with three total steals in the game. 

Redshirt freshman Laeticia Amihere came off the bench and was able to provide for the Gamecock offense and defense in the second quarter and throughout the game itself. Amihere finished with 10 points and six rebounds. 

Boston continued her dominance finishing with 18 points and 10 rebounds, collecting another double-double. Having Boston down low has led to continued dominance of the paint by the Gamecocks.

The Spartans struggled throughout the first half. They totaled only 18 points and shot 15% from the field. In comparison, South Carolina shot 61% from the field in the first half and scored 64 points. 

The second half was no different from the first and saw continued dominance from the Gamecocks and the opposite from the Spartans.

Harris flew under the radar tonight until the second half, when she started making shots from all over the court. She totaled 18 points, seven rebounds and six assists tonight, shooting 66% from the field and going 4-5 from three.

Her dominance continued throughout the third quarter, and after a breakaway layup, Harris totaled her 1,000th career point in the garnet and black.

While Harris picked up pace, Cooke was unable to get anything going. While she scored eight points, she shot a mere 3-12 from the field all night.

Henderson continued her dominance off the bench and stepped up, shooting 5-6 from three and finishing with 15 points. 

In the fourth quarter, Upstate was only able to score seven points in the fourth quarter, but the Gamecocks also saw a dip in their points, scoring 15 in the fourth after scoring over 30 points each in the three previous quarters. 

Upstate ended the game with only 10 made shots and a 16% field goal percentage. Its 3-point percentage was worse, shooting 14% from three, only making four of 29 3-pointers.

South Carolina finished much better on the other hand, shooting 56% from the field and 52% from behind the 3-point line.

South Carolina's next game is at archrival Clemson on Nov. 24 at 2 p.m. The game can be viewed on the ACC Network.