South Carolina football falls to Texas A&M, ends bowl eligibility chances

South Carolina football fell to Texas A&M 30-6 Saturday, moving to 4-7 and 3-5 in the SEC. 

The Gamecocks were stuffed early in the game by a stingy Aggie defense, which allowed only two third down completions throughout the whole game. Their defense consistently held the front and kept the Gamecock offense behind the first down marker.

South Carolina did not find any sustained success on the offensive side of the ball. They attempted three fourth down conversions with one success from an improvisation by senior punter Joseph Charlton.

Texas A&M outgained the Gamecocks 540 yards to 260 and only allowed 45 rushing yards on 17 attempts the whole game. The Aggies eclipsed 300 yards buoyed by a 75-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter by Cordarrian Richardson, one of two players to have over 100 yards rushing on the game for the home team.

The Aggies held a 27-to-15 advantage in first downs and moved the ball up and down the field with ease on the arm of quarterback Kellen Mond, who had 221 passing yards, 10 carries for 47 yards and a passing and rushing touchdown.

The Gamecocks forced a fumble and recovered the ball on Texas A&M’s 12 yard line with just under five minutes left in the game, but didn't make it into the end zone again and settled for their second field goal of the contest, their only scores.

In the end, South Carolina never got into a sustained rhythm. The game was close in score at the half, but Texas A&M scored 17 points in the fourth quarter.

The Gamecocks will now focus their attention on preparing during the bye week, followed by their final game of the season at home in Williams-Brice Stadium against in-state rival No. 3 Clemson Saturday, Nov. 30. 

This story will be updated.