South Carolina women's basketball defeats in-state rival Clemson for 10th consecutive year

The No. 5 South Carolina women’s basketball team took on its in-state rival Clemson (2-4) at Clemson Sunday. 

After beating USC Upstate by 80 points, the Gamecocks (6-0) looked to play Clemson, who they have not lost to since the 2009-10 season. The team did so, defeating the Tigers in the Palmetto Series by a score of 84-48.

First half

South Carolina’s defense blocked four shots and held the Tigers to 23 points in the first half.

On offense, Mikiah Herbert Harrigan scored in five of her six field goal attempts for 11 points. Off the bench, sophomore Destanni Henderson went 3-5 shooting, which included the only 3-point shot the Gamecocks made in the first quarter.

Freshman Aliyah Boston went 4-6 from the field in the first half and scored 10 points. She had two rebounds, two steals and one block. Though she missed all of her shots from 3-point range, Tyasha Harris scored six points, along with three assists and one rebound. 

Clemson combined for 9-33 from the field. They did not make any 3-point shots in the first half. Coming off the bench, senior forward Kobi Thornton made three of her 11 shots, or 27%. She had eight rebounds, one assist and one block. 

At the end of the first half, the Gamecocks led the Tigers by a score of 42-23. 

Second half

South Carolina’s defense held the Tigers to only six points in the third quarter.

The Gamecocks had six players who scored at least 10 or more points, which included every starter. 

Clemson finished 17-65 from the field (26.2%) and made 2-13 (15.4%) of its 3-point shots. 

For the 10th consecutive year, South Carolina defeated Clemson 84-48. 

Up next

The Gamecocks will travel to St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, where they will play in the Paradise Jam Tournament. Starting Thursday, they will play No. 18 Indiana (4-0) at 8 p.m.

This story will be updated with quotes as they become available.