Gamecock women's soccer defeats Kansas to advance to Elite Eight

South Carolina women’s soccer defeated Kansas at home 2-0 to advance to the fourth round of the NCAA tournament. The team has yet to concede a goal in three tournament games.

The first half was back and forth and the two sides played to a 0-0 draw at halftime and combined for only 10 shots. In the second half, South Carolina scored a pair of goals and held strong on defense despite late offensive pushes from the Jayhawks.

“This crew has been amazing, and they wanted to keep playing here at Stone Stadium,” head coach Shelley Smith said.

The opening score came on a free kick taken by Lauren Chang, which crossed the goal from right to left and was driven home on a header from Grace Fisk. The goal is Fisk’s first of the season and gives Lauren Chang six assists on the year.

“It was nice to see Grace rewarded with a goal on that end of the field,” Smith said.

Riley Tanner scored the second goal for the Gamecocks on a solo push from the left wing that saw her send the ball into the bottom right corner of the goal. Tanner has scored three goals in NCAA tournament play and has a goal in each of her last three games, all off the bench.

Mikayla Krzeczowski extended her shutout streak to seven straight games, dating back to the regular season. The senior goalkeeper reached 50 career shutouts with four saves on the day.

South Carolina's next game will be against the winner of Washington State and West Virginia Friday, Nov. 29 at Stone Stadium. If the team is able to win their final game of the season at Stone Stadium, they will advance to the College Cup for the second time in three years.