South Carolina defeats Notre Dame in second round of NCAA Tournament

The South Carolina women’s soccer team advanced to the third round of the NCAA tournament Friday night after a 1-0 victory over Notre Dame at Stone Stadium. The team has yet to allow a goal over five games of combined SEC and NCAA Tournament play.

The Gamecocks put consistent pressure on the Notre Dame defense throughout the first half. Riley Tanner scored the only goal in the 40th minute of the first half and with an assist from Elexa Bahr. The goal is Tanner’s fourth and Bahr's ninth assist this season.

At halftime, South Carolina held a 4-2 advantage in shots, and the Irish committed more fouls than the Gamecocks. Both of these numbers are indicators of how South Carolina controlled the ball on the offensive end in the first half. 

“We’re excited to be moving on in the NCAAs," South Carolina head coach Shelley Smith said. "That was another tremendous game."

Senior goalkeeper Mikayla Krzeczowski extended her clean sheet streak to six straight games. The keeper has 49 career shutouts and recorded one save against the Fighting Irish in the second half. The defense also recorded a team save in the first half to keep Notre Dame scoreless.

“We put ourselves in positions to score and, again, limited them to few opportunities,” Smith said.

The No. 2 seeded Gamecocks' next game will be against No. 3 seeded Kansas Nov. 24 at 2 p.m. at Stone Stadium.

“This group has been tremendous, they wanted it tonight, and our job now is just to get ready to recover and get ready for Sunday," Smith said.