The Tiger's sports editor previews this year's Palmetto Bowl against Clemson

As Nov. 30's matchup with No. 3 Clemson approaches, The Daily Gamecock caught up with Clemson's student newspaper, The Tiger. The sports editor at The Tiger, Ryan Donahue, discussed this year's Palmetto Bowl.

Q: Heading into the bye week, what's the general feeling about this year's Palmetto Bowl for students at Clemson? Does South Carolina's losing season diminish the rivalry any this season?

A: I would say the general mood heading into this year's Palmetto Bowl is that of excitement. Regardless of who else is on the schedule, Clemson players and students always have the game against South Carolina circled on their calendars. While a top 10 match up have likely generated more buzz, it's hard to say that Palmetto Bowl's significance has been diminished because of South Carolina's losing season.

Q: A lot of fans across the country are downgrading the Tigers because of their strength of schedule and it's a real possibility Clemson may not have a top-25 win heading into the postseason. Do you believe this will have a negative impact on Clemson getting a higher seed in the playoff and having to settle for a No. 3 or 4 seed?

A: I don't believe that the Tigers will suffer if they have to settle for a 3 or 4 seed. In years past, seeding in the College Football Playoff has not played a major role in determining the champion. In fact, I think Clemson prefers to be in the No. 2-4 spots. Dabo Swinney has leveraged Clemson's ranking as motivation for the Tigers all season long, even going so far as to bring back the "ROY bus".  As long as the Tigers are in the playoff, they'll be right where they want to be. 

Q: A lot of fans that have grown up in the Palmetto State take this rivalry very seriously. As a student at Clemson, how much does this rivalry mean to you?

A: To me, this rivalry means quite a lot. I know that every season, Clemson recognizes beating South Carolina as a season objective right up on the list with winning the ACC Championship and making it to the College Football Playoff. I think for myself, I see the South Carolina game the same way. If we don't beat South Carolina, the season is a failure. Clemson fans take as much pride in the fact that they've beaten Carolina five times in a row as they take in the fact that they've won two out of the last three National Championships. 

Q: South Carolina has already beaten a playoff-caliber team in then-No. 3 Georgia earlier this season. Do you believe the same could happen to Clemson?

A: Absolutely, South Carolina can beat Clemson. Do I think that they will? No. But is it out of the question? Certainly not. If I've learned anything about College Football it's that anything can happen on any given Saturday. Being that the Gamecocks have nothing left to play for except spoiling the Tigers' season, they will come at Clemson with all that they've got. If the Tigers come out flat at Williams-Brice, the Gamecocks are talented enough to win the game. They proved that they have that ability against Georgia. With that being said, I expect Swinney to have the Tigers ready. If the Tigers match the motivation and energy of the Gamecocks, I don't think Clemson can be beaten. 

This year's Palmetto Bowl will kickoff at noon Nov. 30 at Williams-Brice Stadium. The game will be televised on ESPN.