USC dance students to choreograph, perform original works

USC dance students will highlight the art of choreography and dancing, with original pieces to be choreographed and performed by USC students Dec. 3 to 6.

“They get to choose their own music, their dancers, their costumes, etc.,” said Cynthia Flach, the concert director and adjunct professor. 

Though the showcase is run by students, Flach is helping along the way. This is Flach’s 15th year working as concert director, a role in which she helps put on two showcases per academic year. 

“[The dancers and choreographers] are 200% devoted to their creation,” Flach said.

Flach said every year the dancers' techniques advance, and there is no exception for this year. For this showcase, all of the dances are contemporary with the exception of two pieces, which gives dancers a chance to explore more than just what they study in the classroom. 

Maggie Lampl is a second-year dance performance and choreography student who is dancing and choreographing in this semester's showcase.

As both a dancer and choreographer, Lampl said she has had to find a balance between being a leader and a good follower while rehearsing and switching between roles. She said she believes being a dancer has taught her how to be somewhat of a "clay" to fit what her choreographer needs.

Lampl said her choreography, “I am not,” is a piece that represents the "expectations of oneself and how toxic expectations can, sort of, drag you down."

Lampl said she feels "sensitive" to this piece because she sometimes feels as though she expects too much from herself. 

“This piece is me trying to explore those feelings and learn to let them go a little bit,” Lampl said.

Third-year dance performance and choreography and French student Bekah Larose is another dancer and choreographer. On a plane ride home, Larose came across a sunset that inspired her. She said she believes the imagery influenced her, and she is now incorporating the idea into her performance. 

“Art inspires other art,” Larose said.

Larose said she finds it important to bring other media, including visual art such as sunsets, into dance. 

“I am so uplifted by the commitment and the passion of each dancer to the art of dance,” Flach said.

Performances will be held in Drayton Hall from Dec. 3 through 6 at 7:30 p.m each night. Tickets can be purchased at the Longstreet Theatre box office or by phone at 803-777-2551. Concert tickets are $15 for students, $20 for USC faculty and staff, military and seniors and $22 for the general public.