Winter break briefing: What you missed in sports

1. Approval of alcohol sales at sporting events

The University of South Carolina board of trustees approved the sale of alcoholic beverages at South Carolina sporting events Dec. 17, 2019. This approval went into effect Jan. 1. Alcohol will be available for purchase at Colonial Life Arena, Williams-Brice Stadium and Founders Park.

2. Football introduces new strength and conditioning coach

Dec. 17’s board of trustees meeting also saw the approval of a new strength and conditioning coach for football. Paul Jackson, a former strength and conditioning coach at Ole Miss, will make $450,000 per year for the next two years with the Gamecocks.

3. Men’s basketball knocks off defending national champs

The South Carolina men’s basketball team knocked off then-No. 9 Virginia 70-59 Dec. 22, 2019 in Charlottesville, Virginia. Redshirt junior guard Jair Bolden led the way for the Gamecocks in points with 22, as South Carolina shot 55.1% from the field. However, the Gamecocks are now on a three-game losing streak since knocking off the Cavaliers.

4. Lattimore steps down, Shaw hired as director of player development

Former South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore stepped down as the director of player development Jan. 10 after serving two years in the position. Former Gamecocks quarterback Connor Shaw is expected to replace Lattimore with an official announcement coming sometime this week. It is unknown why Lattimore stepped down from the position.

5. Five Gamecocks to play in Reese’s Senior Bowl

Five former Gamecocks are set to play in the Reese’s Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, on Jan. 25. Defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw, defensive end D.J. Wonnum, inside linebacker T.J. Brunson, punter Joseph Charlton and wide receiver Bryan Edwards will look to impress NFL scouts before the NFL draft. The game will kickoff at 2:30 p.m. EST and can be seen on the NFL Network.