Brief: USC will no longer allow students to live in on-campus housing

In an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19, the University of South Carolina Columbia campus will no longer allow students to live in on-campus housing starting Tuesday, March 17 until at least April 5. Students with “extenuating circumstances” will be allowed to apply to stay. 

“This decision was made after a large number of students indicated they wanted to return to campus housing, despite the university strongly advising against it,” university spokesman Jeff Stensland said in an email statement. 

Students will no longer be able to stay in Greek Village housing, either. Students who need to apply for housing need to fill out an Extenuating Circumstances Housing Form that must be submitted by Monday at 5 p.m. The form can be found on the university housing’s website. 

Students may return to their residences between Saturday and Tuesday in order to retrieve "essential belongings," according to senior associate director of integrated communications Peggy Binette.

“The health crisis we now face is unprecedented in our lifetimes, and we are depending on everyone to do their part to help mitigate risk. We are in daily consultation with public health experts from the university and the SC Department of Health and Environmental Control, and are closely monitoring guidance from the Centers of Disease Control,” Stensland said. 

The Extenuating Circumstances Housing Form can be filled out via this link: https://sc.edu/about/offices_and_divisions/housing/for-residents/extendedspringbreak/extenuating-circumstances-form.php