Online classes to make up remainder of spring semester

USC announced that remote learning through online classes will continue for the rest of the spring semester. This applies to all University of South Carolina campuses. 

Online classes will begin at the same time, March 23, and continue through final exams. May commencement ceremonies will also be delayed. 

“The university is committed to and actively exploring options for rescheduled in-person ceremonies when it is safe to host them and will be planning experiences for graduates to celebrate their achievements,” a spokesperson for the university said. 

Any possible cancellation of commencement ceremonies will not affect graduation status for those graduating in May. 

Students who have been allowed to stay on campus due to extenuating circumstances will be allowed to stay through the spring semester. 

Anyone who still needs to retrieve items will be able to do so at a later date not specified. Reimbursements are also being planned for parking, housing and meal plans. 

“The coronavirus presents a serious risk to public health, and we must take these actions in order to best protect our students, faculty and staff. The nation, and the world, are facing an extraordinary challenge. I believe that it is precisely during such challenging times that we often see the best of each other. I am proud of the entire UofSC family for rising up and meeting this occasion with strength, compassion and resiliency,” University President Robert Caslen said in an email statement.