Athletics department announces fan guidelines for Williams-Brice Stadium

<p>Williams-Brice Stadium sits only minutes from the University of South Carolina campus.</p>
Williams-Brice Stadium sits only minutes from the University of South Carolina campus.

The University of South Carolina athletics department announced the guidelines for fan attendance this fall in Williams-Brice Stadium in a press release Thursday. 

"In addition to approximately 15,000 season ticket holders, Williams-Brice Stadium will welcome a limited number of students, visiting team families, and Gamecock band members on gamedays this fall," the release said.

This means most of the 20,000 seats that will be available to fans will be reserved for season ticket holders.

"[T]he Athletics Department placed a priority on maximizing the number of season ticket holders who could experience games this season," the release said. "The Gamecock Club Executive Committee approved the plan for the 2020 football season to be divided into two mini-plans made available exclusively to current season ticket holders."

In addition to changes to tickets and attendance, fans can expect "delayed opening of parking lots, early opening of admission gates and the required wearing of facemasks upon entry and throughout the stadium."

Any parking lot operated by the athletic department will now open two and a half hours before kick off in an attempt to "discourage tailgating in those areas." The use of tents, grills and coolers will be discouraged in these lots, too. Once the game has ended, fans will have an hour and a half to exit the lots before they are closed.

All decisions were made based on the guidance of the "South Carolina Department of Commerce, Southeastern Conference, local and state health officials and University leadership" and are subject to change.