Gamecocks sign their rookie NFL contracts

Several Gamecocks have made it onto NFL rosters over the summer after signing their rookie contracts. 

Javon Kinlaw

First-round draft pick Javon Kinlaw officially signed with the San Francisco 49ers on June 26. The defensive tackle signed a four-year rookie contract worth approximately $15.5 million with an $8.8 million signing bonus. Kinlaw was picked 14th overall in the NFL draft on April 23 after finishing out his career at South Carolina with 18 total tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks.

"He's really hard working in the meeting room," 49ers defensive end Joey Bosa said in a press conference in May. "He knows all his stuff really well. He doesn't seem like a rookie".

Bryan Edwards

Bryan Edwards signed his rookie contract with the Las Vegas Raiders on July 25 after being selected 81st overall in the NFL draft. The Raiders have not revealed the details of his contract at this time. The wide receiver broke several school records during his time as a Gamecock including setting the school record with 234 receptions and 3,045 receiving yards.

D.J. Wonnum

D.J. Wonnum signed his rookie contract with the Minnesota Vikings on July 22. His four-year contract is worth $4.046 million with a $750,780 signing bonus added on. He was chosen 117th overall in the NFL draft after a productive career at the University of South Carolina with four SEC Defensive Player of the Week selections and 29.5 tackles for loss.  

T.J. Brunson 

T.J. Brunson signed his rookie contract with the New York Giants on July 27, although the details of his contract have not been disclosed. The linebacker played for the Gamecocks for four years with 283 career tackles and started every game in his last two years as a team captain. Brunson was chosen 238th overall in the 2020 NFL Draft. 

Rico Dowdle

Rico Dowdle was signed by the Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted free agent on April 25. He signed a three-year contract worth $2.295 million with a signing bonus of $10,000.  The running back finished his career as 15th on the University of South Carolina's all-time rushing list with 2,167 rushing yards. He also had 16 rushing touchdowns and started 29 games throughout his four years as a Gamecock.

Donell Stanley 

Donell Stanley was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Miami Dolphins on April 25. Stanley signed a three-year contract worth $2.285 million with a $10,000 signing bonus. Stanley spent six years with the Gamecocks, starting 38 games at both center or left guard. 

Kobe Smith

Kobe Smith was signed by the Tennessee Titans on June 29 as an undrafted free agent. He signed a three-year contract worth $2.285 million with a signing bonus of $13,000. The Titans were one of the first teams to contact Smith before the draft and build that relationship for him. The defensive tackle finished his career with 84 tackles, seven of which were for a loss. 

Kyle Markway

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed Kyle Markway to a one-year deal on August 22. The tight end was originally signed to the New York Giants as an undrafted free agent but was cut from their roster in early August. The details of his contract with the Steelers have not been revealed at this time. Markway was a productive player, especially on special teams. He has 37 career receptions as a Gamecock and three touchdown receptions.

Joseph Charlton 

Joseph Charlton was signed as an undrafted free agent to the Carolina Panthers on July 22. Charlton was signed to a three-year deal worth $2.285 million. The rookie punter was a productive member of special teams for the Gamecocks. His 45.5 yard punting average made him one of the top punters in program history.