IFC goes virtual for recruitment

The South Carolina Interfraternity Council (IFC) announced today that recruitment for member fraternities will now be conducted in an all-online environment.

With coronavirus cases now over 1,000 at USC, the IFC said that no in person events will be held during this time. Recruitment with formal rounds is set to start Sept. 7, with Bid Day happening Sept. 20. 

However, one-on-one meetings will be conducted in person. The open rounds on Sept. 7 will be held virtually over Zoom, and IFC executive members and one person from each chapter will be at Russell House to help with any technology issues in person.

"This was not an easy decision to make but the health and safety of our members is the main priority and we believe this is a necessary step to ensure we limit exposure of the coronavirus throughout campus and the Columbia community," reads a statement from Brice Talley and Brendon Flannery, president and vice president of the IFC, respectively. 

The IFC has created "strict sanction guidelines" which can be used against a fraternity who do not follow recommended social distancing and mask rules. Consequences include fines, community service, social probation and suspension of operations.  

"The Interfraternity Council expects full compliance from all organizations and chapter members," reads the statement.