Veteran scoring, stellar defense give Gamecocks win in season opener over Georgia Southern

<p>Sophomore forward Logan Frost scores against Georgia Southern. South Carolina beat Georgia Southern 2-0 Saturday, Sept. 19, at Stone Stadium.</p>
Sophomore forward Logan Frost scores against Georgia Southern. South Carolina beat Georgia Southern 2-0 Saturday, Sept. 19, at Stone Stadium.

The South Carolina men’s soccer team notched a season-opening 2-0 win over Georgia Southern Saturday night at Stone Stadium.

Sophomore forward Logan Frost and sophomore forward Brian Banahan led the way in scoring for the Gamecocks as they scored in the 32nd and 90th minute, respectively.

The South Carolina defense only allowed one shot, compared to the eight shots put up by the offense in the first half. The Gamecock offense did not turn back and ultimately won the shooting battle 15-6.

"It was a good opener for us; really, really pleased for the guys. We hammered away all night long, created some good opportunities," head coach Mark Berson said. "For the first night it's a really good performance. I was really happy for the guys."

The Gamecocks controlled the shooting battle early in the match, outshooting the Eagles 7-0 before Banahan assisted Frost’s goal in the 32nd minute and did not allow a Georgia Southern shot until the 36th minute.

"I think I was out wide and I saw Ryan get it and turn the guy and slipped me," Frost said. "So, honestly, it was a good ball to Brian. Brian found me, so, I was just the lucky one to get on the end of it."

Although South Carolina put many shots on the board, it also missed a few scoring opportunities and put up five shots on goal.

The Eagles also had a few scoring opportunities of their own, with a key opportunity in the 81st minute from sophomore midfielder Jeremiah Luoma. Nevertheless, South Carolina redshirt junior goalkeeper Justin Bauer came up with the save to maintain a 1-0 lead.

Georgia Southern’s miscues would continue as Banahan scored off a miscommunication between two Eagles with 10 seconds left.

"It was just great to feel all of that payoff tonight, all the hard work and protocols we've been following; everything for the last couple months," Banahan said. "Just to have that all come together tonight and get a big win on the first night— our first game — it means a lot to everyone here."

The Gamecocks will now turn their attention to Georgia State, as they will take on the Panthers Sept. 24 at 7 p.m. at Stone Stadium. The Panthers are coming off a 2-1 win against Mercer on Sept. 18 and are looking to avenge a 1-0 loss in their last meeting with South Carolina in 2018.