Late-night Columbia: Your guide to getting out of the house past 8 p.m.

The Smash Room in West Columbia is the perfect place to relieve stress. Visitors are allowed to smash items such as mugs, glasses and even televisions.

Sometimes it feels as if Columbia has an unspoken curfew. It's true that most businesses close come sundown, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to do. 

Below is a compilation of late-night-friendly businesses open Thursday through Saturday. We encourage you to get out of the house this weekend and explore what nightlife Columbia has to offer.

The night is still young

SC Riot Room: Closes 7 p.m. Thursday, 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday

Bad grade? Mean professor? Annoying roommate? Whatever your stressor, SC Riot Room invites you to unwind by smashing stuff. Make sure to schedule your session in advance.

The Front Coffee & Tap: Closes 11 p.m.

There are two types of college students: Those who need caffeine at all hours of the day, and those looking to crack open a beer to ring in the weekend (or any day of the week, really). The Front caters to both crowds.

Bang Back Pinball Lounge: Closes 11 p.m.

Grab some tacos, egg rolls or anything else on the lounge's "Funky Fresh" menu, then get to playing pinball. A full game lineup can be found on its website.

Transmission Arcade: Closes 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday for under 21, 11 p.m. for over 21; closed Saturday

Maybe pinball isn't your thing. This recently-opened arcade and bar offers a rotating selection of games ranging from The Simpsons to Ms. Pac-Man. Check online for the full gaming schedule.

Kaminsky’s Dessert Cafe: Closes 11 p.m.

Shakes, cakes, pies, floats, dessert martinis and a whole lot of spirits make this place a pretty sweet hangout no matter your age.

Five Points Village Idiot Pizza: Closes 11 p.m.

Late-night pizza just hits different, and after 30 years in business, Village Idiot sure knows how to spin a mean pizza. Grab it by the slice or by the pie and wish them a happy birthday while you're there.

Nightcaps: Closes 11 p.m.

Whether you're celebrating your grandma's birthday or looking for a night out with the boys, Nightcaps fits the bill. Choose between standard bar food such as onion rings and nicer entrees such as ribeye. 

Rockaway Athletic Club: Closes 11 p.m.

Allegedly opened after the owners were kicked out of every other bar in the city, today Rockaway boasts of having a nationally recognized pimento cheeseburger and the largest liquor library in the Southeast.

Bars are closing, now what?

Tios Mexican Cafe: Closes midnight

Everybody knows Tios for its margarita tower, which is indeed worthy of the buzz, but have you tried the jerk chicken tacos?

Tsunami Vista: Closes midnight 

Tsunami has a wide selection of sushi to choose from. Plus, if you're willing to shell out a few extra dollars, the hibachi is top-notch.

Tsubaki Restaurant Lounge & Karaoke: Closes 2 a.m.

It doesn't matter how bad you are at karaoke because private rooms are available to rent for the extra self-conscious.

Art Bar: Closes 2 a.m.

Come for the food and drinks, stay for the robots and Christmas lights. This is a 21+ establishment.

Devine Street Insomnia: Closes 3 a.m.

For the really, really late-night sweet tooth, Insomnia is always a reliable option. Opening late-night cookie shops in college towns is perhaps the most brilliant business model there ever was.

All-nighter fuel (24/7)

Assembly Street Sonic

Come feeling hungry, leave feeling gross. That's the Sonic way, and we wouldn't dream of it changing. 

Five Points Waffle House

The one constant in our lives. After late-night studying (studying? Yeah, we'll go with studying), Waffle House provides the greasy sustenance we all crave.