Campus Apple store to open early next semester, YOUnion to house more students in 2021-22

Provost William Tate speaks to the audience during the board of trustees meeting on Nov. 13, 2020.

iCarolina Innovation Hub, a technology store in partnership with Apple, will open in January or February on the Horseshoe, according to a top university official in the board of trustees meeting on Friday. The store will be managed by students and faculty along with Apple technicians. 

"Real time, real life experience for our students where they will actually be in a Learning Lab as part of the curriculum Capstone opportunities for the students," Bill Kirkland, executive director of the office of economic engagement, said. 

Students, faculty, staff and alumni will be able to buy all Apple products except the iPhone and can bring their products to get serviced. 

Currently, the closest Apple stores to campus are in Charleston, Greenville and Charlotte — all over an hour away.

All proceeds from the hub will go towards store operations and other programs, according to Kirkland. 

The board also approved the continuation of USC's partnership with YOUnion, a private housing complex, to house 700 students for the 2021-2022 school year. This past year, the university had the rights to 400 YOUnion beds and 300 beds from Greene Crossing, another private complex.

The university will now only have one agreement with a private housing complex, cutting Greene Crossing, as YOUnion agreed to offer all 700 beds for a total rent value of $8 million. YOUnion will also offer a meal service location where the university can provide grab-and-go meals for residents. Students will be able to use their CarolinaCard at this location.

David Attis, managing director of the Educational Advisory Board (EAB), presented six preliminary recommendations for cost-saving and revenue-generating measures for the university to the Finance and Infrastructure Committee. EAB is a research and technology firm that analyzed USC reports, interviewed 19 administrators and worked with a committee of faculty members to make the recommendations.

Some of these recommendations include merging smaller colleges, expanding capacity in popular programs and cutting back on adjunct professors.

Attis said meeting these goals will require some investment.

"Achieving those strategic goals and supporting mission will also require greater spending, but it has to be spending in an efficient and effective way," Attis said.