The Daily Gamecock

Interim head coach Mike Bobo discusses player injuries, Georgia prep in Sunday teleconference

<p>Interim head coach Mike Bobo calls to players from the sidelines during the Nov. 21 game against Missouri. The Gamecocks fell to 2-6 after the loss.&nbsp;</p>

Interim head coach Mike Bobo calls to players from the sidelines during the Nov. 21 game against Missouri. The Gamecocks fell to 2-6 after the loss. 

Senior wide receiver Shi Smith is going through concussion protocol after leaving the game against Missouri early in the first quarter, interim head coach Mike Bobo said in a press conference on Sunday.

It is uncertain whether Smith will play this weekend, along with redshirt sophomore wide receiver Dakereon Joyner and redshirt senior defensive lineman Keir Thomas. Bobo also said sophomore wide receiver Xavier Legette will be out for the rest of the season. 

Bobo said he has a plan for who will start at quarterback against Georgia this weekend but he has to discuss it with the team before announcing it.

“Offensively, Luke Doty coming in for the second half gave us a spark with his ability to extend plays with his legs in the passing game and make some plays with his legs in the run game," Bobo said.

According to Bobo, fans will know who is starting at the wide receiver position in place of Smith on Saturday. Bobo said the starting lineup all comes down to who is playing the best.

"Whether you play or you don’t play, the best guy is going to play," Bobo said. "You owe it to everybody on the team, all these coaches, all the coaches' families, you owe it to all the fans. The best guy is going to play, and that’s the way it always has been for me." 

Bobo said the team will practice like it did last week, with practice Tuesday and Wednesday, in which the offense will work on first and second down situations. Thursday with be a walk-through, with a more fast-paced walk-through on Friday. 

Players who live close will be allowed to go home for Thanksgiving but will be encouraged to do so responsibly, due to COVID-19 concerns. 

Bobo finished the conference by confirming that no other players have chosen to opt-out before Saturday. 


Comments

Trending Now




Send a Tip Get Our Email Editions