Muschamp fired after 59-42 loss to Ole Miss

Head football coach Will Muschamp is fired, per Gamecocks Online.

"After a thorough assessment of our football program, we have decided to make a change with the head football coach," athletic director Ray Tanner said in a press release Sunday night. "We will begin a search immediately to find the best head coach for Carolina football."

South Carolina President Bob Caslen met with the team and other coaches Sunday night to inform them of the change in leadership.

"Under his leadership, our football players excelled in the classroom and served as mentors in the community. Will also brought much-needed stability to the program. However, I believe it is time to move in a different direction," Caslen said.

This decision comes after the Gamecocks posted a 2-5 record on the season, with blowout losses in the last month to Texas A&M and LSU, and a close loss to Ole Miss.

Muschamp put together a 28-30 record in five years at South Carolina, and the only winning seasons were in 2017 and 2018.

Muschamp also led the team to three bowl games during his tenure as head coach, winning the Outback Bowl in 2017 but losing the Birmingham Bowl and Belk Bowl in 2016 and 2018. Under Muschamp, South Carolina's highest AP ranking was No. 24 during the 2018 campaign.

Offensive coordinator Mike Bobo will serve as interim head coach and will speak to the media along with various players Monday at 10 a.m.

This article was updated at 7:39 p.m. on Nov. 15, 2020.