President Bob Caslen tests positive for coronavirus, is asymptomatic

<p>President Bob Caslen speaks during his first State of the University address. This is Caslen's second year as president.</p>
President Bob Caslen speaks during his first State of the University address. This is Caslen's second year as president.

President Bob Caslen tested positive for the coronavirus Tuesday night, according to a press release. He is asymptomatic and isolating at home.

“I am in good health and continuing to work from home. I look forward to returning to the office as soon as possible,” Caslen said in the press release. “My diagnosis reinforces the need for everyone to get Covid tested regularly to protect yourself and your loved ones.”

Caslen gets tested through the university three times a week.

After Caslen tested positive for COVID-19, "there were more than two dozen people” contacted for contact tracing. These people had been in “close contact” with Caslen, according to university spokesperson Jeff Stensland. Stensland said he was unaware of anyone contacted that tested positive for the virus or whether those contacted were required to isolate.

Caslen had been present at the “going away get together” of Sally McKay, director of executive communications, and had taken photos with students, according to a document of Caslen’s Tuesday schedule obtained by The Daily Gamecock. 

This article was updated at 6:18 p.m. on Dec. 4, 2020.