South Carolina football announces three new hires to 2021 coaching staff

South Carolina football head coach Shane Beamer introduced defensive coordinator Clayton White, offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Marcus Satterfield and wide receivers coach Justin Stepp to his staff on Monday. 

Beamer said he is impressed with White.

“There’s probably not a more talented defensive coaching staff in the country,” Beamer said.

White, a Dunn, North Carolina, native, recently coached at other Carolina schools, including NC State and Western Carolina.

White said his former conference, Conference USA, prepared him for SEC coaching. According to White, his time as a running backs coach at University of Connecticut was possibly the most enriching experience he had as a coach.

“Being on that side of the ball and seeing what defenses do, seeing what defenses like to do and how you can attack defenses, is the only reason why I’m standing here today,” White said.

From 2002 to 2003, both Satterfield and Beamer were graduate assistants at the University of Tennessee.

Satterfield said Beamer has "made calls" and "reached out to people" to help his career in the past. Additionally, he said he plans on maximizing his personnel and running an “exciting brand of football.”

Stepp said he grew up going to Gamecock football games with his father and that working for South Carolina football is a “dream come true."

Beamer said he is still on the hunt to hire more coaches.

Correction (Jan. 11, 2021, at 5:32 p.m.): A previous version of this article misquoted Clayton White as making a statement about his time in Conference USA. The statement referred to his time at University of Connecticut as a running backs coach.