Gamecock football offensive players address spring practice

Head football coach Shane Beamer works with members of the offensive and defensive lines at the Gamecocks' first spring practice on Saturday, March 20.

Offensive players from the South Carolina football team said on Thursday they are enjoying spring practice and looking forward to playing in the annual spring game on April 24. 

Redshirt senior ZaQuandre White took the stand to address the media first. 

White joined the Gamecocks for his redshirt junior season after transferring from Iowa Western Community College. Before his stint at Iowa Western, White was a four-star running back recruit to Florida state and played both sides of the ball during his time there. 

“Everything's been going great. I love how the coaches came in. They rebuilt a lot of things, a lot of ways we used to think,“ White said. “We just talk about like love, loving your brother, taking care of stuff off the field, just having a whole different mindset like more than football ... Life lessons translate to football and football translates back to life.” 

Gamecock quarterbacks Colten Gauthier and transfer Jayson Brown spoke next.

Gauthier was a three-star pro-style recruit out of high school and committed to the Gamecocks in early March of last year. The youngest in the quarterback room, Gauthier said growing as a player is important. 

“It’s a big jump for anybody obviously from a high school level to an SEC school," Gauthier said.  "But I’m embracing it. I’m loving every minute of it. It’s helping me grow," Gauthier said.

Gauthier said former Gamecocks quarterback Connor Shaw has been a mentor for him. 

“Words can’t describe it. A huge impact. That’s what he’s there for," Gauthier said. "He’s been everywhere that I want to go. He’s seen the top. He’s been there, he’s done that. So for me developing a relationship with him has been unreal.”

Like White, Jason Brown also transferred to South Carolina. Brown previously played at FCS school St. Francis University and entered the transfer portal because the fall and spring football schedules got canceled.

“There’s no bad team in the SEC really. Every football player is going to be good that plays here, that’s why they’re here," White said. "Just practice and repetition and going against our guys every single day and getting used to our guys on the offensive side of the ball and then going against guys on the defensive side of the ball is going to be key in getting me up to speed as quickly as I can." 

The Gamecocks will continue spring practice next week and the quarterback competition of Gauthier, Brown, Luke Doty and Dakereon Joyner will be something to look forward to as the team approaches the annual spring game.