South Carolina women's soccer team falls short against Clemson, 2-1

<p>Gamecock freshman forward Corinna Zullo&nbsp;in between two Clemson players during their match on Saturday, April 10, 2021. The Gamecocks lost 2-1.&nbsp;</p>
Gamecock freshman forward Corinna Zullo in between two Clemson players during their match on Saturday, April 10, 2021. The Gamecocks lost 2-1. 

The No. 11 Gamecock women’s soccer team lost the second to last game of the regular season to the No. 8 Clemson Tigers 2-1 in Columbia at Stone Stadium.

The match was slow for the Gamecocks; they played good defense throughout the match, but couldn't get its offense moving. 

South Carolina struggled to get shots off on the goal and could not work the ball past Clemson’s stout defense.

South Carolina showed up on defense as a team with its first team save of the season when redshirt junior Claire Griffiths cleared a ball Clemson tried to score. Clemson searched for an opportunity all first half but South Carolina was too good.

Thanks to freshman forward Corinna Zullo for scoring South Carolina's only goal off of an assist from freshman forward Catherine Barry, the team was up 1-0 going into the second half of the match. 

Neither team had much offensive action during the beginning of the second half. 

While South Carolina had the advantage on corners and saves in the game, Clemson took the lead in most other categories. Clemson has a total of 18 shots with nine of them being on goal. 

Clemson kept the game on South Carolina’s end and kept shooting shots to try and break the seal. 

South Carolina only had six shots, two of which were on goal. South Carolina was more efficient, but the constant barrage of shots from Clemson’s offense could not be stopped. 

Both teams were aggressive and totaled eight fouls each throughout the game. South Carolina also recorded two offsides. 

As the game neared its end, South Carolina still held the end even though they were not able to generate the same level of offense that Clemson had. 

In the seventy-first minute of the match, Clemson was finally able to break the barrier and freshman Megan Bornkamp scored its first goal.

The shot was made from a rebound off the crossbar and made it by Gamecock sophomore keeper Heather Hinz. 

The constant attack of shots from Clemson did not stop as Megan Bornkamp scored a second goal in the eighty-first minute, this time assisted by Renee Guion. 

While Hinz did give up two goals in the last 20 minutes of the match, she saved six goals in the match and kept a slow offense throughout the game. 

The team will face No. 2 North Carolina at 1 p.m. on April 17 in Chapel Hill. The match can be found on ACC Network Extra.