Bob Caslen resigns, former president Harris Pastides steps in as interim

President Bob Caslen speaks during his first State of the University address. This is Caslen's second year as president.

Bob Caslen officially resigned as president of the University of South Carolina, according to Dr. C. Dorn Smith III, the chair of the university's board of trustees. 

Caslen originally submitted his resignation on May 11 after plagiarizing part of his commencement speech from Admiral William McRaven. The board of trustees initially denied his resignation but accepted it on May 12. The resignation is effective immediately on May 13.

Former President Harris Pastides agreed to serve as interim president of the university. A search for a new president will begin immediately.

"Trust is the most important ingredient of effective leadership, and when it is lost, it is nearly impossible to lead. I believe that is the case right now between the University of South Carolina and its president," Caslen said in an email to the USC community.

Caslen said in the email he wished "only the best" for the future of USC. 

The Daily Gamecock asked university spokesperson Jeff Stensland for comment on Caslen's resignation. He denied the request.

This story is developing. Check back for updates.