Graduate transfer Zeb Noland named South Carolina starting quarterback ahead of season opener

<p>Williams-Brice Stadium sits only minutes from the University of South Carolina campus.</p>
Williams-Brice Stadium sits only minutes from the University of South Carolina campus.

The South Carolina football team announced that graduate transfer Zeb Noland was named the starting quarterback against the Eastern Illinois game on Saturday. 

"He's got great experience and most importantly he has played in a football game a heck of a lot more recently than anybody else on this team," head football coach Shane Beamer said on Aug. 17.

Noland transferred from North Dakota State in May as a graduate assistant before being elevated to the active roster during fall camp after an injury to sophomore Luke Doty in mid August. 

He started seven games during the 2020 season at North Dakota State, earning a 5-2 record with wins over No. 2 North Dakota and No. 21 Northern Iowa. Noland completed 51 of 100 passes, posting five touchdowns with six interceptions. 

"One of the core values of this program is competition. This is an opportunity to continue to increase the competition on this team and in the quarterback room as well," Beamer said.

The Gamecocks will kickoff their season at Williams-Brice Stadium at 7 p.m. against Eastern Illinois, with the game broadcasted on ESPN+.