Analysis: Gamecocks fall 4-1 against Coastal Carolina while playing one man down

<p>Gamecock junior forward Logan Frost watches sophomore Gamecock Justin Kopay take control of the ball. The Chanticleers beat the Gamecocks 4-1 in a match that saw only 10 Gamecocks on the field for the majority of the game.</p>
Gamecock junior forward Logan Frost watches sophomore Gamecock Justin Kopay take control of the ball. The Chanticleers beat the Gamecocks 4-1 in a match that saw only 10 Gamecocks on the field for the majority of the game.

The South Carolina men’s soccer team picked up another home loss Saturday night against Coastal Carolina, 4-1. The Gamecocks had to play a man down the majority of the game due to a red card given to freshman forward Harrison Myring in the 23rd minute.

“Even though we had 10 men, I think we still played very well. I’m still proud of the way the boys tried to play,” head coach Tony Annan said.

With only 10 men on the pitch, the Gamecocks had to adjust their formation to two blocks of four in hopes of holding off the Chanticleer's high-power offense.

South Carolina was down by 1 point at halftime, but came out in the second half with some new energy. Sophomore defender Jordan Matthews started the second half and provided a much-needed lift off the bench. In the 57th minute, freshman goalkeeper Tristan Himes hit a goal kick past half field for Matthews to run onto and slot away into the bottom left corner.

Not too long after Matthew’s equalizer, the Chanticleers responded with three goals in the 69th, 76th and 83rd minute. Coastal's redshirt junior midfielder Danny Cabera had a brace and created problems throughout the night for the Gamecock backline.

Despite the score, the Gamecocks played well and were more threatening in the final third of the game. With 11 shots and three corners throughout the night, the team created trouble for the Chanticleer defenders. 

Alongside an abundance of goal-scoring opportunities, there were a lot of fouls called and cards awarded. Between both teams, there were 24 fouls, seven yellow cards and one red card. This match did not lack physicality and became more intense as minutes went by.

“Every time we play, we get better,” Annan said. “I'm seeing progress. All be it small, but there is definitely progress.” 

South Carolina is now 1-3 on the season. Next, the team will face South Carolina Upstate at Stone Stadium on Friday, Sept. 17, at 7 p.m.