'It's a wonderful place': SEC Nation hosts talk Gamecock football, Williams-Brice atmosphere

The SEC Nation truck in front of Horseshoe.

The University of South Carolina’s historic Horseshoe is hosting a full slate of Southeastern Conference (SEC) Network shows in the build-up to the Gamecocks’ football game against Kentucky on Saturday night. 

South Carolina’s conference home opener and family weekend have made it the spotlight of the SEC for the weekend.

A pair of former SEC quarterbacks — Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow from the University of Florida and Jordan Rodgers from Vanderbilt University — will appear on "SEC Nation," which will run from 10 a.m. until noon on game day. 

An on-the-road edition of "Marty & McGee" featuring Marty Smith and Ryan McGee will also be live from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.

“This is a wonderful place, great people, great atmosphere. I think it’s one of the best venues in college football, I love it, Sandstorm, all of it,” Tebow said. 

Co-analyst Rodgers agrees. 

“You’d be hard-pressed to find an environment that is as difficult as this can be when it’s rocking, I’ve been on that field in a tight game in the fourth quarter and it is not fun,” Rodgers said about the Gamecocks’ home-field advantage. “I think this is going to be a big one for both Kentucky and South Carolina for what they both want out of the season.”

The SEC analysts also addressed head football coach Shane Beamer’s efforts in turning the program around and building towards success.

“It’s going to take a little bit to get all the players that coach Beamer wants to get here, but I think they've got to — I think South Carolina is a place where you can have good teams, year in and year out,” Tebow said. 

McGee added that Beamer has a host of Hall of Fame-caliber coaches to lean on in his father, Frank Beamer, Oklahoma Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley and Spurrier.

“Culture change is a tired phrase, but that’s what is going on. And I think you can — even if there’s work to do football-wise, attitude-wise I think it’s already changed,” McGee said. 

Rodgers offered his advice to the Gamecocks on how they can overcome the setback they suffered in Athens and get their season back on track.

“They need to get Nick Muse more involved, they need to get the running game back to where and what they expected it be this year to take some pressure off of Luke Doty and this offense a little bit,” Rodgers said. “But look: it’s young in the career of Shane Beamer.”

McGee said the sound level in the stadium will be a critical factor in the game. 

“I think that Williams-Brice is one of the most underrated atmospheres in college football,” McGee said.