Preview: Gamecock softball aims to be 'fighting team' heading into 2022 season

<p>FILE — Softball player Mackenzie Boesel, who has since graduated, gets in batter's position at home plate on April 4, 2021. The softball team readies itself for the upcoming season.&nbsp;</p>
FILE — Softball player Mackenzie Boesel, who has since graduated, gets in batter's position at home plate on April 4, 2021. The softball team readies itself for the upcoming season. 

With new and familiar faces on the roster, the South Carolina softball team is aiming to get back into the postseason for the first time since 2019. 

"Biggest goal for the team is success. We want to make it as far as we can and we're looking for an NCAA [Tournament] spot in postseason. I think we'll have a good run in the SEC Tournament as well," senior catcher Jordan Fabian said.

The team went 22-6 in non-conference play and finished last in the SEC with a 4-20 record during the 2021 season. As the new season approaches, eleventh-year head coach Beverly Smith, said the group used last year as an "extra motivating force."  

"I think that's been kind of been blood on our paws the whole time. It's motivated, I think, the work of our players in the off-season, it's certainly motivated us as coaches in the way we've gone about business this year and done a few things different," Smith said. 

The 2022 roster features first-year players as well as multiple veteran players. Fabian, who started 48 games behind the plate last season, said she feels really good about the team. 

"We have a younger team this year, but a lot of talent, so we're looking forward to it," Fabian said. 

Offensively, the Gamecocks will have to replace two of the team's best hitters as infielders Kenzi Maguire and Mackenzie Boesel graduated. 

Senior infielder Kassidy Krupit said she was confident this year's group can carry the load. Krupit hit .301 with six home runs and 45 RBI in 52 games last season. 

"We have some really athletic people on this team — Emma Sellers has really stepped up at middle infield and so has Maddie Gallagher and so has Riley Blampied — our infield is looking really athletic and tough, and we will definitely use all of that this year," Krupit said. 

South Carolina retained six pitchers from last year's staff, which gave the team many options to choose from this year.  

Smith said she looked at graduate student Kelsey Oh as well as junior Karsen Ochs and sophomore Leah Powell to be a "three-headed monster" in the pitching rotation. 

Though she hasn't named an opening day starter yet, Smith hinted at Ochs being the Gamecocks' No. 1 pitcher this season. She said she's looked strong recently and gives the team a lot of different looks on the mound. 

In two seasons, Ochs has posted an 8-6 record with a 3.94 earned run average in 28 appearances while striking out 51 batters.  

Heading into her final season, Oh said she's excited to see what the group can do in 2022. 

"I think everyone's super diverse. I think we have a great mix of speeds. Rachel (Vaughan), Bailey (Betenbaugh), Skylar (Trahan) tend to throw lower 60's and then Leah (Powell) and me tend to go a little bit higher, and it's a great blend," Oh said. "Some people are great with change-ups, some people are great with drop balls, so it's really awesome."

In four years with the team, Oh has struck out 277 batters in 308 innings pitched. She said her decision to come back came down to wanting to compete again. 

"I absolutely love to compete with the teammates that I have and also the coaching staff. They've given so much to me, and I just wanted to try as hard as I can and make it to [Oklahoma City] one more time," Oh said. 

2022 will be an important year for the team, as they are hopeful to bounce back after the disappointment of last season.

With a lot to prove, South Carolina's motto is to be a "fighting team" this season, according to Krupit. 

"We play as a team. We win as a team, we lose as a team and we know that we're going to fight this year and we're gonna get those wins," she added. 

On Feb. 11, South Carolina will begin its season playing in the Gamecock Invitational at Carolina Softball Stadium. The team is set to host four games this weekend against Virginia, Lipscomb, George Washington and North Carolina as part of the Gamecock invitational.