Review: Nicki Minaj returns to rap game with new singles

<p>Nicki Minaj attends The 2019 Met Gala at Metropolitan Museum of Art on May 6, 2019 in New York City. Minaj released two new singles in February 2022, leading fans to believe a new album is on the way. (Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images/TNS)</p>
Nicki Minaj attends The 2019 Met Gala at Metropolitan Museum of Art on May 6, 2019 in New York City. Minaj released two new singles in February 2022, leading fans to believe a new album is on the way. (Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images/TNS)

Song: “Do We Have a Problem?”

Release Date: Feb. 4, 2022

Run Time: 3:27

Label: Republic Records 

Artist(s): Nicki Minaj, Lil Baby

Rating: A

After an almost four-year hiatus since her last album to build her family, Nicki Minaj teased fans of her upcoming album yet again with the release of two new singles at the start of February.

The first of Minaj’s two new singles, titled “Do We Have a Problem?” dropped with an accompanying music video, a nine-minute production where Minaj taps into her acting skills by playing a double-agent. 

The song itself is on the slower side, for rap and Minaj, but is consistent with Minaj’s usual style, flow and wordplay of clever metaphors while rapping at notably fast speeds. She flexed her singing chops in the chorus and played with soprano tones to create a simple yet catchy tune. Minaj then quickly jumped into her audacious rap persona going into the next verse.

This new single is a fresh, new song that incorporates Minaj's typically aggressive, yet energetic rap style. The song hops back and forth between Minaj and Lil Baby and keeps listeners on their toes throughout. Lil Baby offers a nice balance to the song with his calm, steady tone compared to Minaj's high volume and energy. 

The refrain in "Do We Have a Problem?" says “Pull up on a opp, do we have a problem?” and is repeated throughout the song, serving as the main message of the single. Minaj is reminding her “opps,” or competition, that she is taking back her status as the self-proclaimed “queen of rap."

This new single is a reminder that Minaj is not finished in her music career and that she is still one of the top female rappers in the game. She signals she is only getting started and strategically used the music video for “Do We Have a Problem?” as a teaser for the single she released one week later, called “Bussin.”

Song: "Bussin" 

Release Date: Feb. 11, 2022

Run Time: 2:17

Label: Republic Records 

Artist(s): Nicki Minaj, Lil Baby

Rating: A+  

Minaj released her second single, “Bussin,” one week after “Do We Have a Problem?” and collaborated again with Lil Baby. The first minute of the song, give or take, is played at the end of the “Do We Have a Problem?” music video as yet another one of Minaj’s teasers for her fans. 

“Bussin” fits more into Minaj’s classic mixtape style that she was known for at the start of her career, similar to her work in the album “Beam Me Up Scotty.” It has a much more direct and assertive tone than “Do We Have a Problem?” and her use of rhythm, especially in the first few seconds of the song, is consistent with her high level of rap talent and experience.

Minaj wastes no time and jumps right into her tongue-twisting lyrics in seconds. She again alternates lines with Lil Baby, and the two rappers back to back create an interesting duality. They trade off lyrics so quickly that the shifts in tone are unpredictable, and they keep the song fresh.

The shorter length of "Bussin" did not deter Minaj from holding back with her lyrics. By flexing her designer clothes, expensive cars and musical talents, Minaj took every opportunity to remind listeners of her rap legend status. 

Minaj’s low, more quiet tones during the chorus alternated with her aggressive and fast-paced rapping verses and made the song versatile and engaging and exhibit Minaj's range as a music artist. The beat of “Bussin” is also more fast-paced than its predecessor “Do We Have a Problem?” from a week prior. 

Both "Do We Have a Problem?" and "Bussin" are new spins on old-school rap skills that Minaj has always been well-known for. Minaj ultimately reminded her listeners, fans and other rappers that she's not only back in the game, but that she never left it.