Men's basketball guard Erik Stevenson enters transfer portal

<p>FILE— Senior guard Erik Stevenson on the court during the men's basketball game at Colonial Life Area in Columbia, SC. The Gamecocks beat the Tigers 73-69 on March 1, 2022.</p>
FILE— Senior guard Erik Stevenson on the court during the men's basketball game at Colonial Life Area in Columbia, SC. The Gamecocks beat the Tigers 73-69 on March 1, 2022.

South Carolina men’s basketball senior guard Erik Stevenson entered the transfer portal, South Carolina Athletics confirmed. 

Stevenson, the team’s second-leading scorer, averaged 12 points, five rebounds and three assists a game. Stevenson led the team in made threes while shooting 33% from the line.

This is the third time Stevenson has entered the transfer portal. He started his career at Wichita State, where he played for two seasons, before transferring to Washington for a season and then to South Carolina. 

Entering the transfer portal does not guarantee Stevenson's departure from the team. It gives him the opportunity to reach out to other schools and weigh his options. 

Former men's basketball coach Frank Martin was the main factor for Stevenson's decision to come to South Carolina. Since Martin’s firing, Stevenson is the only Gamecock to be confirmed in the portal.