USC student confirmed dead after emergency at Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center

<p>The entrance of Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center. The facility serves faculty, staff and students of the University of South Carolina.</p>
The entrance of Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center. The facility serves faculty, staff and students of the University of South Carolina.

A USC student died after suffering a medical emergency at the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center on March 15, the university confirmed. 

Ellis Barry Ross Jr. was extracted from the indoor pool at about 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, according to an email sent out to campus recreation staff members.

USC lifeguards and ops staff administered CPR at the scene, and EMS continued care while Ross was transported to the hospital, according to the email.

Ross was pronounced dead at the hospital. The cause of death is unknown at this time. 

"Our sympathies and prayers go out to his family and friends. Counseling services are being provided to those most impacted by the loss and are available to anyone affected by this tragedy," university spokesperson Jeff Stensland said. 

Ross was a third-year operations and supply chain student from Charleston, South Carolina.

The Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center will remain open, but the indoor pool, spa, sauna and outdoor deck will be closed until March 20. 

Editor's note: This is a developing story. Check back for updates.