Former Gamecock and Columbia native becomes first hire to Lamont Paris' staff

FILE— Basketball in net at Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, SC.

Men’s basketball coach Lamont Paris announced his first staff hire on Thursday. Columbia native and former South Carolina basketball player Carey Rich will join Paris’ staff as special assistant to the head coach. 

"Everything happens for a reason, and I'm deeply honored the time has come for me to return to my alma mater with the opportunity to assist coach Paris," Rich said in a press release. "My heart and soul will be in this assignment. I'm humbled and ecstatic about this journey and this next phase of basketball at the University of South Carolina."

Rich will be responsible for assisting Paris on special projects, building relationships with alumni, reaching out to the community and recruiting.

“I'm very excited to have Carey joining my staff here at South Carolina," Paris said. "He is so connected and well-respected in our community and with basketball in the Palmetto State. This role is something that will evolve over time, but I'm excited to have him hit the ground running. Alumni engagement is something that I'm going to emphasize going forward and I expect Carey to play a very vital part in that." 

Rich started his colligate career in the 1990-91 season for the Western Carolina Catamounts before transferring to South Carolina. Due to transfer rules at the time Rich didn’t make his Gamecock debut until the 1992-93 season. 

As a Gamecock Rich averaged 10 points, four assists and three rebounds. During his last two years, he served as captain of the team and led the team in scoring in his senior season. 

Rich’s roots in the state are deep. He was elected into the Richland One Hall of Fame in 2017 and has spent the last seven years as a recreation superintendent with the City of Columbia's Parks and Recreation Department. 

Paris said in his introductory press conference that one of his goals was to recruit this state hard. His first hire certainly puts him a step closer to that goal.