Local thrift stores offer clothes, community for Columbia area

A rack of jeans for sale at NoMa Warehouse on July 19, 2022. NoMa Warehouse is located at 2222 Sumter St.

Whether you are an incoming first-year student at USC or have one final year before graduation, everyone seems to need new clothes for the new school year. However, many are unsure where to find affordable options close to campus. 

Below are five great thrift spots that can help you stay connected to the Carolina community through service, support and stylish clothes. 

4 Paws Thrift Store

Located at 304 12th St. in West Columbia, 4 Paws Thrift Store, or simply just ‘4 Paws’, is a nonprofit that raises money for Patter Pets Inc., a charity and animal shelter that fosters neglected animals. 

In addition to adopting out new furry friends, Patter Pets also houses pets of women in domestic violence situations who can't bring their pets with them when seeking safety at domestic violence shelters. Once these victims get out of their situation, they are able to reclaim their pets. 

The thrift store’s merchandise is all donated, and regularly priced items are discounted for students, military and seniors. Aside from shopping, there are also opportunities for individuals to volunteer at the store to help service the community. However, if you just want to visit the store, the store has a wide variety of merchandise, according to Darlene Rollison, the assistant manager of 4 Paws.

“(Students) can find anything here, we have so much fun … we’ll be upstairs digging through stuff to try to help them find what they’re looking for,” Rollison said. "We do a lot of stuff, I mean, we try to help a lot of people.”

His House Ministries Thrift

One of four locations, His House on 767 Meeting St. in West Columbia, is a 10 minute drive away from campus. His House Ministries was founded in 1974 to employ recovering homeless and alcoholic men.

His House also holds church services at their Meeting Street Chapel, Monday through Saturday at 8 a.m., an additional service Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m. and Sunday morning service at 10 a.m. They rely solely on donations that can be sold in the stores, because they receive no federal funding. 

The manager of the West Columbia location, Randy Graves, encourages college students to come as the store holds plenty of items that may be of interest. 

“One of the things that we have in these thrift stores that the college kids absolutely love is the retro stuff that we have. And I’ll see them bringing up stuff that I’m thinking, ‘This would have never come up here had it not been for a young college student,’” Graves said. “I look at it differently now, and I say, ‘Absolutely put it out because there is somebody shopping for that.’ So, it’s awesome.”

NoMa Warehouse

NoMa Warehouse is located at 2222 Sumter St and is a co-workspace for artists. They also host events for artists and collectors to sell their pieces.

A short drive away from campus is NoMa Warehouse, at 2222 Sumter St., neighboring Indah Coffee and Final Victory Animal Rescue. While NoMa hosts many events, they are primarily a co-workspace for artists that may join on a membership basis to work on their art. Members there can work collaboratively on their projects.

There is also fixed booth space for members or local businesses to use as a retail and vendor space at the NoMa Flea that happens every Friday night. They sometimes have live music and food trucks for those that come out to the market to facilitate a community and welcoming environment with younger, college-aged vendors, according to Cara Lawson, the finance director at NoMa. 

“It’s just a space that you can come and hang out and find cool things in Columbia, and you meet new people, make new friends, find stuff that college students like. We have a lot of thrifted vintage clothes that’s really popular right now,” Lawson said.

Sunshine Thrift Store

At 3300 Two Notch Road is Sunshine Thrift, which partners with Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. The store donates a portion of the proceeds from the sale of items to Prisma Health Children’s Hospital — Midlands. People can drop off donations at the store or schedule a pickup time with the donation truck. 

Accepted items for donation include gently used clothing, sheets, pillowcases, blankets, household items and furniture, including any sort of outdoor furniture or tools. 

Sid & Nancy

Sid & Nancy is a buy and resell store for recycled clothing. If you are looking for a more modern touch, they look for brands like H&M, Topshop, Gap and Urban Outfitters, but will accept anything as long as it is “clean, unwrinkled and in good condition,” according to their website. Offers for items are made in cash or store credit for usable items, and the store is at 733 Saluda Ave. It is the only store on this list local to Five Points. 

“I’d say we’re kind of one of the few local clothing stores in this area," Jeni Scott, a store associate, said. "So, this area is definitely a good spot to come if you’re wanting to support local businesses.”