Gamecocks lose Mo Kaba, Jordan Strachan for remainder of season due to injury

<p>FILE— Redshirt Senior Jordan Strachan (No. 7) celebrates a turnover that he recovered during a game against Vanderbilt on October 16, 2021.</p>
FILE— Redshirt Senior Jordan Strachan (No. 7) celebrates a turnover that he recovered during a game against Vanderbilt on October 16, 2021.

South Carolina head football coach Shane Beamer announced Monday that junior linebacker Mohamed Kaba and sixth-year edge rusher Jordan Strachan have both suffered ACL injuries and will miss the remainder of the 2022 season. 

Both injuries occurred this past Saturday during the Gamecocks' 44-20 loss to Arkansas. 

"I'm extremely disappointed and heart-broken for both of these young men," Beamer said. "They both worked really hard to prepare for this season and were off to great starts for us. Their best football is still in front of them."

It appeared that Kaba's injury occurred in the first half after almost sacking Arkansas quarterback KJ Jefferson. Before exiting the game, he had recorded four tackles. This is the second time Kaba has torn an ACL, the first time being in 2020.  

Soon after Kaba exited, Strachan left the game midway through the third quarter and was seen sharing an emotional moment with his family members in the tunnel. Strachan recorded six tackles, one sack and 1.5 tackles for loss against Arkansas before his injury.

Kaba started the first two games of the 2022 season at middle linebacker and totaled eight tackles with one pass breakup.  

Strachan, a key member of South Carolina's pass rush, recorded 10 tackles in this season's first two games and was the team leader with three tackles for loss. Prior to coming to South Carolina, he led the country with 10.5 sacks during the 2020 season while playing for Georgia State.