Review: 5 Seconds of Summer debuts new sound, tells story with latest album, '5SOS5'

Australian pop band 5 Seconds of Summer members, from left, Calum Hood, Luke Hemmings, Ashton Irwin and Michael Clifford, following their performance at Hollywood & Highland Center on Oct. 23, 2015, in Hollywood, California. The group released their fifth album, 5SOS5, on Sept. 23, 2022. (Jay L. Clendenin/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Album: “5SOS5”

Release Date: Sept. 23, 2022 

Run Time: 1 hour and 4 minutes

Label: BMG

Artist(s): 5 Seconds of Summer: Luke Hemmings, Calum Hood, Ashton Irwin and Michael Clifford

Rating: A-

5 Seconds of Summer shifted from a punk rock sound to a softer, alternative rock genre on their anticipated album, “5SOS5.” In the 19 songs, the band tells a story of navigating fame, personal growth and maintaining relationships and friendships. 

The album proves the legitimacy of 5 Seconds of Summer as a mainstream group. The group has moved past the stereotype of a boy band by exploring complex themes of love, self-reflection and friendship. 

It features a spectrum of music with more radio-pop-friendly songs like “Flatline” and “Bloodhound,” but also deviates towards slower alt ballads such as “Emotions” and “Moodswings.”

With evocative lyrics and a strong bass line, "Flatline" is a visceral introduction into the new sound of 5 Seconds of Summer. The electric feel combined with the lingering bass creates a unique alt-pop song, and is seen throughout the album. This fresh sound differs from the band's original punk-rock sound and persona, which reflects the band's shift towards the music they are making today.

In “Best Friends,” the band’s frontman Luke Hemmings sings “Memories I hold to keep safe / And I live for that look on your face / I got the best friends in this placе / And I'm holdin' on.”

The track opens up about the group’s long-time friendship and collaboration. The four are all from Sydney, Australia. Originally Hemmings, Hood and Clifford made up the band, but their need for a drummer brought Irwin in towards the end of 2011. Opening for One Direction helped spiraled them into fame, and following the conclusion of the One Direction tour, the band had grown a bigger following. The band's friendship is a beautiful and central theme throughout the album. 

“Best Friends” speaks to the memories the band has made together. In turn, these memories have shaped the members as individuals and helped the band shift to a new, mature sound. 

“5SOS5” also debuts a track featuring Hemmings' fiance, Sierra Deaton. The ballad, "Older (feat. Sierra Deaton)," is the ultimate ode to the fear of falling in love, and the possibility of having to live without the one you love the most. 

Hemmings emotionally opens the song with a piano solo, singing “I don't wanna get older / Without your head on my shoulder / On the day that you leave me / I'll forever be bleeding, love / As forever comes closer/ Hope the world will spin slower."

He is speaking to his lover — he fears losing the one he loves most. It's hauntingly unforgettable and has a newfound relatability to love songs from Hemmings. 

A fresh sound is also found in songs like "CAROUSEL" with an airy vocal and a fast drum pattern, this song is the epitome of pop and is an absolute standout on the tracklist.

In “CAROUSEL," the band tells the story of their rise and experience with fame and living in the limelight. As well as how their experience has affected their persona and family.

“Lookin' for myself in the passenger's side / Drivin' to the edge till I get this right / Tryna find the city with the brightest lights / How you gonna get there, get there?," they sing.

Hemmings does a poetic job of describing the tumultuous relationship the band has with fame, and how they learned to balance their public and private lives. 

"5SOS5" brilliantly explores ideas of self-discovery, friendship and experiencing love while also serving as a fresh start for the band to experiment with a new artistic sound. This shift was perfectly executed by the band, and in turn, a stunning album was produced.