Student, faculty member die in unrelated incidents on campus

<p>University of South Carolina banners line the walkways of the Horseshoe at sunrise.&nbsp;</p>
University of South Carolina banners line the walkways of the Horseshoe at sunrise. 

A student and a faculty member died in unrelated incidents on campus, the university announced on Sept. 2. 

The student died in a residence hall, and the faculty member died outside the Discovery parking garage, the university said in an email to the Carolina community. 

The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) is investigating two deaths on campus, according to RenĂ©e Wunderlich, SLED's director of public information. 

SLED responded to the university's request for help on Sept. 2, Wunderlich said. 

"While the investigations are ongoing, it is clear that there is no threat to safety," USC's email announcement said. 

The student was Stephen Black, a third-year history major, university spokesperson Jeff Stensland said. The faculty member was Anna Gawlicka-Chruszcz, who taught in the department of chemistry and biochemistry. 

Editor's Note: Get help through the in-person or online mental health services. Students can call 833-664-2854 for free, 24-hour access to a counselor. Faculty and staff can call the Employee Assistance Program at 800-633-3353 for free help 24 hours a day. 

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.