South Carolina offensive line coach temporarily steps away from team

FILE— Offensive Line coach Greg Adkins coaches players during a spring practice in 2021.

South Carolina announced Thursday night that offensive line coach Greg Adkins would be temporarily stepping away from the team moments before the Gamecocks kicked off against S.C. State.

Adkins is stepping away due to "minor health issues" according to South Carolina head football coach Shane Beamer. This marks the second time in Adkins’ two seasons in Columbia he’s had to take a leave of absence for medical reasons.

Beamer said he talked to Adkins yesterday and he was in “great spirits”

“Not much more to share, just (a) medical condition that he's taking care of,” Beamer said after South Carolina’s 50-10 victory over S.C. State. “I don't think it’s going to be long term. When I talked to him yesterday afternoon, he told me that he felt like he'd be back really, really soon.”

Lonnie Teasley, an offensive analyst for the Gamecocks, will be the interim offensive line coach during Adkins' absence. Teasley is in his second season with the program.

Before his time began in Columbia, Teasly was the offensive line coach at North Carolina Central. Beamer described Teasley as a “phenomenal” assistant coach.

“I'm just praying we can keep him around here for a long time as well that nobody else tries to hire him,” Beamer said after the game. “He's fantastic and he's got a great relationship with the players and he's done a great job working with that offensive line.”

Editors note: This story was updated on Sept. 30 at 1:45 a.m.