Veteran defensive back leaves Gamecocks football program, Beamer says

Redshirt senior RJ Roderick stretches at Gamecock a preseason practice on Aug. 29, 2022.

South Carolina head football coach Shane Beamer announced  during his weekly press conference that fifth-year safety RJ Roderick is no longer with the team.

TheBigSpur reported that Roderick was headed for the the transfer portal Monday night and Beamer confirmed it Tuesday afternoon. 

Beamer said he met with Roderick and his mom on Sunday and that "everything is good from that standpoint." 

"I'll let RJ speak for himself, but right now he's not a member of this football team and won't be going forward," Beamer said.

Roderick started in 34 of the 46 games he played with the Gamecocks throughout his career. Roderick last played on Sept. 29 against S.C. State. 

He only played in three games during the 2022 season after missing time due to an injury he sustained early in the first game of the season against Georgia State. Freshman defensive back Nick Emmanwori has started in place of Roderick during his absence. 

Since Roderick hasn't played in more than four games this year, he is still eligible to redshirt and play for a new school next year. 

Roderick totaled 205 tackles, five pass deflections and two interceptions as a Gamecock. 

From Summerville, Roderick came to South Carolina in the 2018 recruiting class as a three-star recruit out of Cane Bay High School.

Editors Note: This is a developing story. Check back for updates.