Analysis: South Carolina men’s soccer team falls 3-1 to No. 6 Marshall

<p>FILE - Sophmore forward Harrison Myring moves down the field and attempts to power past the Campbell defenders during a game on Saturday evening, Sept. 17, 2022.&nbsp;</p>
FILE - Sophmore forward Harrison Myring moves down the field and attempts to power past the Campbell defenders during a game on Saturday evening, Sept. 17, 2022. 

The Gamecock men’s soccer team lost 3-1 to No. 6 Marshall on Saturday night at Stone Stadium, making it the team's first loss in conference play this season.  

Prior to the matchup, head coach Tony Annan said the team’s strategy was to limit Marshall’s offense to the best of their ability and utilize counterattack opportunities. 

“It was a very tough game for us,” Annan said. “They’re a very good side, and we played well but we didn't play as well as we could've.”

The Gamecocks came out in defensive shape, sitting in two blocks of four with one up top when Marshall was in possession. While in this shape, the team looked to force turnovers and catch Marshall on a break. 

Despite the defensive strategy, Marshall’s ability to control the tempo and maintain a threatening offense were the difference-makers. 

In the first 30 minutes, both teams were settling into the game until Marshall’s graduate midfielder Vinicius Fernandes cleaned up a knockdown in South Carolina’s box in the 36th minute to give the Herd the early lead. 

Going into halftime down a goal, Annan encouraged the team to keep working hard and staying positive in hopes of finding the equalizer. 

“Keep working, keep trying to do the right things,” Annan said. “We were still in the game at that point.”

In the second half, the Herd offense started to become more dangerous in the final third and was clinical in its moments. In the 69th minute, Marshall’s senior midfielder Joao Souza cut back a cross from the flank to the feet of redshirt senior forward Milo Yosef, who confidently placed it in the back of the net. 

Yosef struck again 10 minutes later, earning a brace on the night and giving Marshall a comfortable 3-0 lead. 

As the game was winding down, a tremendous solo effort in the 88th minute from South Carolina freshman midfielder Rocky Perez put the Gamecocks on the board. Perez picked up a loose ball in Marshall’s box, took on a defender one-versus-one and placed the ball to the far post. 

In addition to the late goal, another bright spot for the Gamecock offense was sophomore forward Harrison Myring. He had a dangerous scoring opportunity in the second half, recording one shot on frame. Alongside Myring, junior forward Peter Clement also had a few looks, recording two shots on the night. 

South Carolina is now 5-4-2 (1-1-1) on the season. In preparation for their next match, Annan and the team will focus on recovery and adjusting their tactics. 

Up next, South Carolina will hit the road where it will take on Coastal Carolina on Friday, Oct. 14 at 7 p.m. The game will be streamed on ESPN+.