Column: Students should look deeper into political organizations on campus to find their niche

<p>The USC Turning Point USA chapter protests on the Horseshoe over the mask mandate while the Carolina Socialists counterprotest. The mask mandate was put in place by interim university President Harris Pastides on Aug. 18, 2021.</p>
The USC Turning Point USA chapter protests on the Horseshoe over the mask mandate while the Carolina Socialists counterprotest. The mask mandate was put in place by interim university President Harris Pastides on Aug. 18, 2021.

There are many ways to get involved and be a part of political organizations at USC. Students should research and take part in political organizations to be better informed of political viewpoints and find their niche.

There are many political organizations on campus that serve different ideologies, social beliefs and political parties. It is important to find the right fit since sometimes students struggle to align with a group and share similar beliefs. 

Different organizations and their leaders may have different reasons for why they started and what they want to achieve with their organization. 

“I wanted to have people to share like-minded opinions with and to get excited about the election season with,” Emma Schwertfuehrer, president of USC College Democrats said.

Getting together with people who share common goals and beliefs can help students find a fit and have a sense of belonging. Political organizations hold meetings and create a space where discussion is open and students can have a voice. 

Many organizations have spaces in Russell House where meetings are held and discussion and involvement are welcome.

“A lot of people think that they don't have any real power or what they do doesn't matter," Schwertfuehrer said. "And I think that it's important for groups to be out on campus to show people that's not the case and that their voice does matter." 

It is also important for students to search carefully when looking for political organizations. Some organizations are geared towards more social environments with discussions and meetings over the activist organizations where more outside involvement is expected, such as community service or volunteering.

Organizations such as The Network of Enlightened Women is an example of a more socially oriented organization. These organizations may help students who prefer political discussions in a social setting. 

“Make sure that you know what you’re getting yourself into, I know some political organizations focus a lot on activism whereas (Network of Enlightened Women) is really a social organization,” Maddie Blanch, president of The Network of Enlightened Women said.

Organizations such as the Network of Enlightened Women focus more on meeting people with similar interests and values to have discussions and share ideas. Other organizations including the Carolina Socialists focus on an activist approach with larger community involvement and interaction. 

“One of the ways I think we do a really good job of that is with our mutual aid program where we funnel people into feeding the homeless and doing things rather than just sitting around talking about it,” Olivia McKinney, a member of the Carolina Socialists, said.

Organizations like the Carolina Socialists show how their organizations use activism and engagement in the community. Being informed of this can help students find a political organization that they better align with. 

Political organizations make searching easier by showcasing what they do and why, all across social media and tabling events as well as Garnet Gate.

“Almost all of us have social media pages where we kind of post what we’re doing and what we have done in the past,” Schwertfuehrer said. "Also, you can always go onto GarnetGate."

Political organizations such as The Network of Enlightened Women and the Carolina Socialists can be found easily on Instagram with a quick search. 

Political organizations are an easy way for students to get involved on campus. Many of the political organizations on campus along with their leaders make getting involved interesting and welcoming for students. Research and care deciding what organization to get involved in is important, but simple process for students.