South Carolina offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield reportedly leaving program for Nebraska

<p>FILE—Gamecock offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Marcus Satterfield during the Gamecock Walk before the Eastern Illinois football game on Sept. 4, 2021. Satterfield joined the football coaching staff in 2021.</p>
FILE—Gamecock offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Marcus Satterfield during the Gamecock Walk before the Eastern Illinois football game on Sept. 4, 2021. Satterfield joined the football coaching staff in 2021.

ESPN's Pete Thamel and Chris Low reported Monday that South Carolina offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield is set to leave the program for Nebraska. 

Satterfield's ties to new Nebraska head coach Matt Rhule were essentially the deciding factor, according to Thamel. 

Satterfield was Rhule's offensive coordinator at Temple from 2013-2015, his tight ends coach at Baylor from 2018-2019 and his assistant offensive line coach with the Carolina Panthers in 2020.

Satterfield entered his second season with South Carolina on the hot seat, a place he remained until the very end of this season. He revived his tenure in the last two weeks of the season when the Gamecock offense shined in back-to-back wins over top-10 teams in Tennessee and Clemson.

South Carolina totaled more than a 1,000 yards of total offense in its last two weeks of the regular season and averaged 510 offensive yards per game in those wins. 

The Gamecocks were No. 9 in total offense in the SEC this year. South Carolina ranked No. 13 in total offense in the SEC in Satterfield's first year as play-caller in 2021. 

This is a developing story, check back for updates.