Analysis: South Carolina men's soccer fall to No. 2 Kentucky in regular season finale

The South Carolina men's soccer team dropped its regular season finale to No. 2 Kentucky on Nov. 1, 2022. The Gamecocks will have a chance to avenge the 3-0 loss on Sunday, Nov. 6 when the two teams face off again in the Sun Belt Tournament. Photos captured by Rachael Barkoff | The Daily Gamecock

South Carolina men's soccer honored its seniors Tuesday night as they played their final game of the season at Stone Stadium against No. 2 ranked Kentucky, losing 3-0.

Kentucky is now 11-0-5 on the season, with a 5-0-3 conference record. The Wildcats remain unbeaten on the season, with a three-game win streak. South Carolina now stands with a record of 5-7-4, and a 1-4-3 conference record to end their 2022 regular season.

Before the game began, South Carolina recognized the players that would be playing their last game at Stone Stadium. Coach ​​Tony Annan decided he would honor their commitment to the program with extended minutes.

“They’ve been great. They've always been there ... They stuck around when there was a lot of changes," Annan said. "So why not honor them, and give them their last chance to play (at) Stone Stadium.” 

In the first half of play, it was Kentucky who got out in front early. The Wildcats' right back, fifth-year Robert Screen, found himself in very advanced positions down the field. This right-side attack would prove very effective for the Wildcats, with most of its attacks beginning there.

Kentucky used crosses to put pressure on the South Carolina center backs, making it hard for them to track incoming runners into the box.

Eventually the Wildcats found the net with a rebound after a shot from senior midfielder Nick Gutman was pushed out to junior midfielder Enzo Mauriz, who slotted it in. The Wildcats would go into halftime with a one-goal lead, outshooting the gamecocks 9-2.

Kentucky kept its foot on the gas in the second half, creating even more chances this half than the first. 

Its high defensive line and press made it very hard for South Carolina defenders to play out of the back, and a mistake in the midfield was punished into a goal for Mauriz, securing his brace. A late goal from sophomore midfielder Casper Grening put the Wildcats up 3-0, where it would stay until the end.

South Carolina will matchup with Kentucky again in the Sun Belt Tournament on Sunday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. Coach Annan has confidence that the team can improve on the defeat going into the next match.

“Next Sunday is a very, very big game ... I think we can take, number one, what we've seen tonight and try to formulate a game plan that might help us achieve what we want,” Annan said.