Veteran defensive back out for rest of year due to injury, Beamer says

<p>Redshirt junior defensive back David Spaulding during South Carolina's game against Missouri on Oct. 29, 2022. South Carolina was defeated by Missouri 23-10.</p>
Redshirt junior defensive back David Spaulding during South Carolina's game against Missouri on Oct. 29, 2022. South Carolina was defeated by Missouri 23-10.

Redshirt junior defensive back David Spaulding will miss the rest of the season due to injury, head South Carolina football coach Shane Beamer announced Tuesday afternoon.

Beamer hinted that Spaulding's injury — a foot injury similar to that of graduate student running back Christian Beal-Smith — would be season-ending after the Gamecocks' 38-27 win over the Commodores. He confirmed that was the case during a media availability on Tuesday.

"Spaulding is done for the year. I know I mentioned that Saturday in Nashville. (I) hate that for him, but wish him well in his recovery,” Beamer said.

Spaulding did not travel to Nashville with the team for South Carolina's matchup with Vanderbilt on Saturday.

He played in four games this season and missed four straight games after the season opener because of an injury. Spaulding totaled seven tackles and an interception this season. 

Spaulding's injury is another hit to an already depleted South Carolina secondary unit.

Editors Note: This is story was updated on Nov. 8 at 6:30 p.m. with new information that confirmed Spaulding would miss the remainder of the season.