Gamecock defensive back Cam Smith declares for NFL Draft

<p>FILE— Redshirt Junior defensive back Cam Smith celebrates a tackle for a loss against the Texas A&amp;M Aggies at Williams-Brice Stadium on Oct. 22, 2022. The Gamecocks defeated the Aggies 30-24.</p>
FILE— Redshirt Junior defensive back Cam Smith celebrates a tackle for a loss against the Texas A&M Aggies at Williams-Brice Stadium on Oct. 22, 2022. The Gamecocks defeated the Aggies 30-24.

Redshirt junior defensive back Cam Smith announced via Twitter on Friday that he will be declaring for the 2023 NFL Draft. 

"After much prayer and consideration and speaking with my family, I will be entering the 2023 NFL Draft," Smith said in a statement. "I am eager to pursue my dreams of playing in the NFL but I will always be a Gamecock."

Smith finished the 2022 campaign with 27 tackles, six passes defended and one interception. Heading into this season, he was listed as the second-best returning cornerback in college football by Pro Football Focus and named a preseason All-American by the Walter Camp Foundation.

Smith had his best season of his South Carolina career in 2021, when he was named second-team All-SEC by the Associated Press after emerging as a leader in the Gamecock secondary. He allowed only 15 catches on 32 targets all season and registered 41 tackles, 14 passes defended and three interceptions. By averaging 1.3 passes defended per game, he finished second in the SEC and ninth in the country in that metric.

The 2023 NFL Draft will be held at the Union Station in Kansas City from April 27-29.