Gamecocks lose tight end Jaheim Bell to transfer portal

<p>File—Junior tight end Jaheim Bell and junior wide receiver Antwane Wells Jr. celebrating after a touchdown on Nov. 26, 2022. The Gamecocks won over Clemson 31-30.</p>
File—Junior tight end Jaheim Bell and junior wide receiver Antwane Wells Jr. celebrating after a touchdown on Nov. 26, 2022. The Gamecocks won over Clemson 31-30.

South Carolina junior tight end Jaheim Bell announced on social media Monday that he will be entering the transfer portal. 

"I have always dreamed of being a collegiate athlete and to play at the highest level of college football," Bell said in a tweet. "The University of South Carolina gave me that opportunity. Thank you to Coach Beamer, the trainers and the entire coaching staff for always believing in me."

Bell burst onto the scene at the end of last season with his performance in the 2021 Duke's Mayo Bowl. He brought in 159 receiving yards and two touchdowns during the game. 

After totaling 497 receiving yards last year, Bell had only 231 receiving yards this year and did not catch a touchdown pass until South Carolina's victory over Tennessee in the second-to-last week of the season.

Bell did see increased playing time as a running back in the back half of the season. He totaled 261 rushing yards and two touchdowns on the ground.

During his three-year career with the Gamecocks, Bell started in 11 of the 30 games he played. He totaled 757 receiving yards, 301 rushing yards and 10 total touchdowns. 

"To my teammates, thank you for always supporting me through all the highs and the lows," Bell said in a tweet. "The relationships I have formed with every one of you will never be forgotten." 

Last year, Bell was named to ProFootballFocus' to the second team All-SEC and the Associated Press' All-Bowl team.