Analysis: Gamecock women's basketball remains unbeaten after dominant win against Kentucky

<p>Senior guard Brea Beal shoots a three-pointer to make the score 3-2 in the first quarter against Kentucky at Colonial Life Arena on Feb. 2, 2023. The South Carolina Gamecocks beat the Wildcats for the second time this season 87-69.</p>
Senior guard Brea Beal shoots a three-pointer to make the score 3-2 in the first quarter against Kentucky at Colonial Life Arena on Feb. 2, 2023. The South Carolina Gamecocks beat the Wildcats for the second time this season 87-69.

The Gamecock women's basketball team dominated inside the paint to capture an 87-69 victory over the Kentucky Wildcats Thursday night at Colonial Life Arena. 

South Carolina had a whopping 62 points in the paint, compared to 14 for Kentucky.

This is the team's second victory over Kentucky of the season, joining its 95-66 victory in Lexington on Jan. 12. The Gamecocks remain undefeated and improved to (22-0) in the season and (10-0) in the SEC.

The game was highlighted by yet another double-double for senior forward Aliyah Boston, who ended the night with 14 points, 14 rebounds, and one assist. 

Other major contributors for South Carolina included junior center Kamilla Cardoso, who scored 14 points and three rebounds, and senior guard Brea Beal, who recorded 10 points, four rebounds and one assist. Kentucky’s leading scorer, graduate student guard Robyn Benton, put up 24 points against the Gamecocks, while graduate student guard Blair Green had eight rebounds for the Wildcats.

Kentucky began the game by amassing a 5-3 lead and remaining close with South Carolina up to the three-minute mark in the first quarter. South Carolina responded with a 9-0 scoring run to help end the quarter with a 26-18 advantage.

The second quarter was highlighted by dueling 7-0 scoring stretches, with Kentucky's bringing it within 6 points of the Gamecocks about midway through. South Carolina ended with its own run to finish off the half with a 15-point advantage.

At the start of the third quarter, the momentum seemed to belong to Kentucky as it held South Carolina to only 6 points in the first five minutes. However, an 11-0 scoring run from the Gamecocks brought the momentum back to the home side, where it seemed to stay for the remainder of the game, as Kentucky could not get more than a 6-point run from then on.

Kentucky has proven to be an obstacle for the Gamecocks in the past, beating it in last season's SEC championship game and scoring high amounts of points in their matchups this year. Head women's basketball coach Dawn Staley said the team's defense is key heading into future games.

“We have to defend, we really have to defend. It's the hallmark of what we do. It's what we've always been known to do,” Staley said. “69 (points), however, is a little much for us cause we don't usually give up that many.”

From the game, Staley’s main issues were with the fouls committed by South Carolina, which had 21 total for the night, while Kentucky had 20.

Shooting percentage from behind the arc was another point of concern for South Carolina. The Gamecocks went just 2-12 from three, with both jumpers being scored by Beal. The team, however, remained optimistic heading into a schedule that includes two top-five opponents.

“Zia (Cooke) didn’t hit those shots today, but I guarantee the next game she's going to hit those shots because I believe in her and the next person believes in her,” Beal said.

South Carolina remains undefeated as it heads toward several major games. The Gamecocks will be on the road Sunday to face the No. 5 Connecticut Huskies  in a non-conference matchup at noon.