3 freshmen football players suspended after being charged with unlawful possession of a weapon

<p>A photo of 650 Lincoln Devine, a residence hall on 700 Lincoln Street. Three student athletes were suspended on Friday after they were found with weapons in the building.&nbsp;</p>
A photo of 650 Lincoln Devine, a residence hall on 700 Lincoln Street. Three student athletes were suspended on Friday after they were found with weapons in the building. 

Three freshman Gamecock football players have been suspended from the team and the university Friday afternoon after being charged with unlawful possession of a weapon.

USC sent an email Friday afternoon to all residents of 650 Lincoln and their parents notifying them that three students of the residence hall possessed weapons within the building.  

Shortly after, a press release from the athletics department was sent saying that freshman edge rusher Monteque Rhames II, freshman defensive back Anthony Rose and freshman defensive back Cameron Upshaw were all suspended. All three players have been removed from campus and will not be permitted to return for an undisclosed amount of time. 

Richland County public records show Rhames is currently detained at Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center after being booked at midnight on charges of obstructing justice and carrying weapons on school property. He received a Personal Recognizance bond set at $10,000 for the weapons charge, and his first court appearance is scheduled for March 31.

University spokesperson Jeff Stensland confirmed to The Daily Gamecock that the athletes were suspended due to the charges against them.   

“Our student-athletes know what is expected of them,” Head football coach Shane Beamer said in the press release.  “They know that both the University and the football program will hold them accountable for their actions and decisions.”

Rose joined the program in January 2022 and redshirted this past season.  Rhames and Upshaw enrolled in classes last month and were announced as part of the 2023 recruiting class.

According to the email sent to 650 Lincoln residents, USC police have opened an investigation but say there is "no ongoing threat to residents."  

Editor's note: This is a developing story. Check back for updates.