Letter from the editor: Look for consistency in times of change

<p>Sydney Dunlap, The editor-in-chief of The Daily Gamecock, poses with her managing editors, Will Kronsberg and Kate Robins on Monday, Aug. 21. Dunlap is starting her second semester as the paper's editor-in-chief.</p>
Sydney Dunlap, The editor-in-chief of The Daily Gamecock, poses with her managing editors, Will Kronsberg and Kate Robins on Monday, Aug. 21. Dunlap is starting her second semester as the paper's editor-in-chief.

Happy first day of class!

This time last semester, I was starting my time as editor-in-chief and wrote my letter about embracing changes. This school year, I’m having trouble following my advice.

I got too comfortable during my sophomore year, and as I start my junior year, it has hit me how much things have changed. Some of my best friends have graduated, there is a whole new part of campus and even The Daily Gamecock is seeing significant changes with a new monthly print edition beginning in September.

This summer, I had my first real internship, and it made me realize how close I am to things changing forever. And it’s scary.

So this semester, while I still think it is important to embrace change, I also believe it is important to remember that there is so much that stays consistent despite the change.

In those times of stress about all the things that look different, think about the things that look the same.

You can still depend on waiting in long Chick-fil-A lines and tripping on a brick as you walk through the Horseshoe. Despite the distance, your friends and family are still just a phone call away, and I’m still writing a letter from the editor just like I do every first day of class.

Even when you feel like everything is different, so much at USC stays the same. 

So this year, as all the changes start to feel overwhelming, I plan to take a step back and remember how I’m still loved, seen and supported, even if it looks different. I hope that you can take the time to do the same.

As always, submit a tip if there is something you think we should cover, and fill out an interest form if you would like to join our team.

I hope you have a semester full of good grades, great friends and hopefully some consistency.