Analysis: Gamecocks dominate Chanticleers through commanding offense, constant goalscoring

<p>Junior midfielder Lily Render takes a corner kick against Coastal Carolina at Stone Stadium on Sept. 3, 2023. The Gamecocks defeated the Chanticleers 5-0, with one goal coming from junior midfielder Lily Render.</p>
Junior midfielder Lily Render takes a corner kick against Coastal Carolina at Stone Stadium on Sept. 3, 2023. The Gamecocks defeated the Chanticleers 5-0, with one goal coming from junior midfielder Lily Render.

The South Carolina women’s soccer team dominated the pitch against Coastal Carolina on Sunday, winning 5-0 and staying undefeated. The win over the Chanticleers marked the team's fifth straight win and fifth shutout in six games.  

Senior forward Catherine Barry had a strong game, scoring two goals, despite an incredible performance by Coastal Carolina’s junior goalkeeper Vivienne Carr. With her 10 shots on goal today, Barry moved into fourth in Gamecock's history for career shots on goal with 207 shots.

The first Barry goal came in the early minutes of the first half with a lower left post shot to give the Gamecocks a 1-0 lead. She scored her second goal of the match at the 30 minute mark. 

I always want to contribute to my team,” Barry said. “My job as a frontrunner is to score goals and create opportunities for my teammates.” 

final-score wsoc ccu_single-game.png

Barry continued to create many opportunities for her team in the second half with an assist to freshman midfielder Bri Pinasco. Pinasco received a leading pass from Barry in the 54th minute to score her first collegiate goal. 

“It’s not really about me with the goals, it's kinda for my team,” Pinasco said. 

The scoring did not stop for the Gamecocks as sophomore forward Shae O'Rourke and junior midfielder Lily Render also put their names on the box score. O'Rourke had a goal and assist on the night, while Render scored her second goal of the season on a wide open rebound that put the Gamecocks up 3-0.

South Carolina's defense also held strong. The Chanticleers' were rarely on the Gamecocks side of the field, unable to get any shots or corner kicks for potential goals. 

The Gamecocks substituted several different players while taking total command over the Chanticleers, even allowing the freshmen to play significant minutes early on during the season. Sophomore goalkeeper Christina Tsaousis played an entire half but faced no shots, earning her first career shutout in her first collegiate game. 

We have a deep roster this year," Barry said. "Being able to have different players that can fill different roles and different combinations of players that can work well together is a key to a successful season." 

The Gamecocks has outscored its opponents 18-2 so far in its fiery start to the season. The team will look to keep the momentum going, staying at home for a soccer version of the "Battle of the Carolinas" when taking on the North Carolina Tar Heels this Thursday, Sept. 7 at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcasted on ESPNU.