Analysis: Gamecock men’s basketball gets bounce-back win against East Carolina

<p>FILE — The South Carolina men's basketball team celebrates as the team scores late in the game against George Washington on Dec. 1, 2023. The Gamecocks made 51% of 3-pointers against the Revolutionaries/</p>
FILE — The South Carolina men's basketball team celebrates as the team scores late in the game against George Washington on Dec. 1, 2023. The Gamecocks made 51% of 3-pointers against the Revolutionaries/

South Carolina got a bounce-back win on Saturday by defeating East Carolina 68-62 in Greenville, North Carolina.

The Gamecocks came out hot early in the game, setting up an 11-point lead before the Pirates' junior guard RJ Felton and sophomore forward Ezra Ausar started to get East Carolina back into the game.

IMG_4791.png

South Carolina maintained its lead going into the break, dominating 35-28.  But the Gamecocks and the Pirates went back and forth throughout the second half.

Junior guard Meechie Johnson came up big for the Gamecocks with 13 points in the second half.  Johnson is averaging 18 points, five rebounds and two assists per game while shooting 50% from the field this season. 

Junior guard Myles Stute put up 15 points and helped the team stay in the game while players such as graduate student forward B.J. Mack faced foul trouble.

South Carolina struggled with turning the ball over throughout the game. East Carolina converted 16 points off of Gamecock turnovers, which kept the Pirates competitive down the stretch.

Ausar and Mack battled physically in the post all afternoon long. Ausar posted 14 points and two fouls to Mack's 13 points and four fouls. The Gamecocks' other post player, graduate student forward Stephen Clark, also had four fouls.

South Carolina was in foul trouble toward the end of the game but overcame it with good defense and free-throw shooting. Graduate student guard  Ta’lon Cooper went 3-4 in free throws in the game's final minutes to help the Gamecocks secure the win.

South Carolina made nine 3-pointers, while East Carolina made only five. The 3-point shot has played a big part in the Gamecocks' offense all season long and continues to carry the scoring, with Johnson shooting at a 42% rate and Stute shooting at 40%.

South Carolina's next four games are against Charleston Southern, Winthrop, Elon and Florida A&M, and the Gamecocks are favored in each. The team will then begin SEC play against Mississippi State at home on Jan. 6 and Alabama on the road on Jan. 9.

With the win over the Pirates, the Gamecocks are now 8-1. South Carolina will play Charleston Southern at home on Dec. 16 and look to defend home court at Colonial Life Arena, where neither the men's or women's teams have lost so far this season