Column: 6 perfect pizza places to visit in Columbia

The beginning of a new semester can be overwhelming, and sometimes college students need a break from cooking. If USC students are craving a fresh-baked and well-topped pizza, then look no further! Here are some of the best pizza places to check out in Columbia.

Village Idiot Pizza

Village Idiot Pizza is certainly a favorite among students, mainly due to its late business hours. The restaurant has two locations — one in the Five Points district and the other on Whaley Street. It is also an ideal spot to watch major sporting events with friends.

Village Idiot's pizza is known for its deliciously thin, light crust as well as a range of different flavors, such as the buffalo chicken pizza. The restaurant also has a wide variety of drinks, ranging from mimosas to margarita buckets. This pizza place is a college favorite for a reason. With a casual atmosphere, reasonable prices, quality food and lively entertainment, Village Idiot Pizza is a place worth stopping by.

Marco's Pizza

Located off of Rosewood Drive, Marco's Pizza has many classic options to choose from. "The Deluxe" is a fan favorite, topped with pepperoni, Italian sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, onion, signature three cheeses and Marco’s original sauce.

Marco's Pizza also offers pizza bowls — a crustless pizza baked in a bowl — which are a perfect choice for those who aren’t hungry enough to eat an entire pie. Like pizza, the pizza bowl has a customizable option so that customers can choose their preferred toppings. 

Mellow Mushroom

pizzalisticle.png

Located in the Vista, Mellow Mushroom is known for its stone-baked pizzas and funky atmosphere. Its fan-favorite pizza is the "Mighty Meaty," topped with pepperoni, Italian sausage, ground beef, honey-baked ham, applewood-smoked bacon and the restaurant's signature Mellow red sauce with mozzarella.

Its menu also offers some gluten-free and vegan options for customers with food allergies. And if a pizza isn’t filling enough, try one of Mellow Mushroom’s popular side dishes, ranging from wings to salads to calzones.

Old Chicago Pizza + Taproom

Also located in the Vista, Old Chicago is known for its Chicago style deep-dish pizza. The "Chicago 7" comes with an array of meats, red onions, black olives, green peppers and sliced mushrooms. But this restaurant serves more than just pizza to its customers.

Along with a selection of salads, Old Chicago's menu has different burgers, sandwiches and cheesesteaks to choose from. It also has party-sized options for larger groups of customers and plenty of seating in its taproom-themed atmosphere.

Stoner’s Pizza Joint

Located near Soda City Market, Stoner’s Pizza Joint is a wallet-friendly pizza hub for those with larger parties and a craving for lots of pizza. It is known for its "Stoner’s Snack Attack," a 14” one-topping pizza with a small side of cheese sticks priced at only $19.99.

If customers aren’t that hungry but still wish to eat on a budget, they can choose the "College Special," which comes with a 10" one-topping pizza and five wings for a total of $12.99. What a steal!

Thirsty Fellow Pizzeria and Pub

Located by Colonial Life Arena, Thirsty Fellow Pizzeria and Pub is a dog-friendly restaurant for customers who want to bring their furry friends along for a slice. It has a spacious outdoor patio that offers plenty of seating and reasonably priced pizzas that will pair nicely with their pub food specials. 

Its menu has a lot to offer with a variety of unique pizza toppings, such as shrimp, sliced meatballs or a drizzle of truffle oil to top it off. Customers can also grab an order of stuffed banana peppers or fried pickle chips — two of their many pub specials — if they're not in the mood for pizza.

Next time students have an appetite for pizza, a quick visit to any of these six pizza joints will surely satisfy their cravings. Each place has its own unique features and flavors, which is a great reason to try them all.